- Instructor: Genevieve Shaker
- PHST P330; Online course
- 3 credit hours
Celebrity Philanthropy course
Coming Spring 2018
Contact email@example.com for more information.
The effects of celebrity and popular culture on modern charitable practice are profound. Celebrities—from entertainment, business, politics, and sports—are involved with causes including climate change, international humanitarianism, animal welfare, health and wellness, food instability, and more.
This online course explores the intersection of celebrity and popular culture with philanthropy and fundraising.
As a student in the class you will assess the benefits and challenges of celebrity philanthropy for American charities.
You will also engage in an ongoing discussion about the societal phenomenon of celebrity giving, service, and advocacy through exploration of current philanthropic events, interactive classroom activities, and hands-on learning opportunities. Discussion will include exploration of how individuals, and celebrities in particular, of various backgrounds (profession, gender, race and ethnicity, political persuasion, generation) deploy their philanthropy.
Core philanthropic principles, questions, and practices will be explored as you refine ideas about charitable giving in your own media experience while learning to apply an academically-informed perspective to popular philanthropy.
Course Learning Objectives
At the end of the class students will be able to:
1) Core knowledge
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of celebrity and popular culture in American philanthropy
- Explain foundational concepts in contemporary philanthropy using the lens of celebrity
2) Analytical experience
- Analyze the impact and role of celebrity involvement with philanthropic causes/nonprofits
- Assess the impact of philanthropic participation and celebrity status on the celebrity
- Evaluate philanthropic fundraising strategies, which use celebrity and/or social media
3) Skills development
- Synthesize and apply course knowledge to further the goals of a nonprofit organization
- Advocate for a charitable cause by utilizing a celebrity representative
- Collaborate with others around a social cause and on behalf of a nonprofit organization