featuring Valaida Fullwood
WHEN: Friday, October 17
WHERE: Urban League Multipurpose Room, 777 Indiana Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46202
SPEAKER: Valaida Fullwood is the Executive Director of Community Investment Network (CIN) and the award-winning author of Giving Back, which was named one of the 10 Best Black Books of 2011 and received the prestigious 2012 McAdam Book Award, which recognizes “the most inspirational and useful new book for the nonprofit sector.” Described an “idea whisperer,” Valaida Fullwood brings unbridled imagination and a gift for harnessing wild ideas to her work as a writer, creative consultant and project strategist. Her client base ranges widely and her interests center on social innovation in philanthropy, education and the arts. In short, she helps people and organizations drive bold ideas forward by guiding their projects and by writing their stories. She is featured in a 2013 TEDx Talk on philanthropy which can be viewed under the video tab.
EVENT DESCRIPTION: Let your passions launch your action, in this interactive forum that will explore intentional efforts to make a difference within our community. As we give collectively, through giving circles or individually, central Indiana fulfills the potential of the historic Hoosier Hospitality and rich giving legacy that exists. Fullwood inspires rich conversation about both traditional giving and the consideration of new points of entry for donors. This lecture will underscore the importance of each person being a change agent within the Indianapolis community.
- Explore the importance of collaboration across race, ethnicity and culture
- Gain key insights for starting a giving circle and participating in collective giving
- Awaken the use of volunteerism and giving to become a local agent of change
- Embrace your personal giving story
- Reflect on the intimate collection of giving stories presented by Fullwood
- Discover the role of reframing philanthropy has in crafting a richer picture of generosity, social justice and community engagement
PARKING: There is free parking available at the Urban League. More details provided upon registration.