- B.S., Education, Arizona State University
Maureen has worked in the philanthropy sector in various positions for over 40 years. She has served as Chairman of the Board of several nonprofit organizations, as an adviser to many others and as an avid supporter of the community at-large. Her experience in governance issues, strategic planning, development, community outreach, and board development has provided her with hands-on knowledge and experience on both a local and national level.
Maureen and her husband Jim have four adult children and three grandchildren, who together constitute a philanthropic team committed to their combined passions. Their priority, as donors and community activists, is to act as agents of change in the realm of behavioral and mental health with a focus on awareness and education; research and treatment; and the eradication of the stigma associated with mental health care.
In pursuit of that priority, they recently established The Hackett Center for Mental Health, the primary policy development and operating presence of the Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute for Texas in the Houston region. The Hackett Center is focused on putting policy into practice in partnership with the region’s leading health systems, so all Texans can obtain effective and efficient behavioral health care when and where they need it.
In addition to mental health awareness and advocacy, the Hackett Family is dedicated to serving the interests that make up the heart of every strong community: family, faith, health, and education.
Honors & Awards
- Trustee, Advisory Board, Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE), University of Notre Dame
- Advisory Board, Behavioral and Developmental Collaborative at Texas Children's Hospital
- Member, Greater Houston Community Foundation Council
- Board Member and Past Chair, Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy
- Member, Faculty and Community Advisory Board of The College Toolbox Project at IUPUI
- Board Member, Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute
- Member, MD Anderson Cancer Center Board of Visitors (Executive Committee)
- Board Member, The Menninger Clinic
- Chair, The Menninger Clinic Foundation
- Board Member, American Psychiatric Foundation
- Member, Women Moving Millions
- President, Mental Health Court Foundation (Harris County, Houston, TX)
- Honorary Board Member, Mental Health America of Greater Houston
- Member and Vice-Chair, National Council of the American Film Institute
- Trustee, Nantucket Cottage Hospital Board
- President and Chair, Nantucket Cottage Hospital Foundation
- Emeritus Advisory Council, St. Agnes Academy
- President’s Advisory Council, University of St. Thomas
- Lady of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem
- Recipient of the inaugural (2014) award for Outstanding Philanthropist of the Year from the National Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Recipient of the Maurice Hirsch Award for Philanthropy
- Recipient of the Gary Levering Mental Health Impact Award
- Recipient of Mental Health America of Greater Houston’s Ima Hogg Award
- Recipient of the Women’s Philanthropy Institute’s Shaw‐Hardy Taylor Award
- Recipient of the IUPUI Spirit of Philanthropy Award