301 University Boulevard
George Mason University
Master of Arts: Public Administration
Bachelor of Arts: Journalism
Vanderbilt University, Owen School of Management
Certificate in Leadership Excellence
The Fund Raising School, Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy
Certificate in Fund Raising Management
Serving as assistant dean for external relations, Bill Stanczykiewicz oversees communications and fundraising for the Lilly Family School of Philanthropy while directing The Fund Raising School. Bill also serves as a core faculty member, teaching graduate and bachelor’s level courses on philanthropy and fundraising.
Bill’s professional career spans the philanthropic, public, and private sectors. He served for 17 years as President & CEO of the Indiana Youth Institute, a statewide nonprofit devoted to healthy youth development and academic achievement. This opportunity followed his leadership position in the mayor’s office in Indianapolis, where he served as policy director for community renewal, designing and implementing The Front Porch Alliance.
Additional public administration opportunities have included serving as a staff member on the United States Senate Subcommittee on Children and Families as well as serving as a board member on Indiana’s State Workforce Innovation Council and Indiana’s Education Roundtable.
Bill’s 10-year media career included being honored as the “Indiana Sportscaster of the Year,” and his media skills have been utilized throughout his professional career appearances on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and ESPN as well as numerous state and national newspaper op-eds and radio and television interviews.
The State of Indiana has honored Bill as a “Sagamore of the Wabash,” the highest honor bestowed by the state on civic leaders. Bill also was recognized as a “Next Generation Leader” by the Rockefeller Foundation.
Community service opportunities have included serving on leadership committees for the Super Bowl and the NCAA Final Four, and Bill has volunteered on several boards of directors including for a national education foundation, a regional family-serving ministry, an inner-city youth center, and his local community foundation.
Bill earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from Northwestern University, and a master’s degree in public administration (with a concentration in nonprofit management) from George Mason University. Bill also has attained post-graduate credentials from Vanderbilt University and The Fund Raising School.
- Contributing Author, “Authoritative Communities: The Scientific Case for Nurturing the Whole Child,” Kathleen Kovner Kline, M.D., editor; Springer Publishing, 2008; (author of Chapter 17: “The Civil Society Model: The Organic Approach to Building Character, Competence, and Conscience in Our Young People”)
- Editor, “New Directions for Philanthropic Fundraising: Engaging Youth in Philanthropy,” Number 38, Jossey-Bass Nonprofit and Public Management Series, Wiley Periodicals, Inc., 2003
- Contributor (as member of commission), National Commission on Children At Risk’s monograph, "Hardwired to Connect"
Honors & Awards
- “Sagamore of the Wabash,” State of Indiana, Gov. Mike Pence
- “Distinguished Hoosier,” State of Indiana, Gov. Frank O’Bannon
- “Next Generation Leader,” Rockefeller Foundation
- “Who’s Who in Education,” Indianapolis Business Journal
- “Friend of Education,” Indiana State Teachers Association
- “Chairman’s Award,” NCAA National Youth Sports Hall of Fame
- “Indiana Sportscaster of the Year,” Indiana Sportscasters & Sportswriters Association
- ABC’s Good Morning America
- ESPN’s The Top 5 Reasons Why You Can’t Blame...
- PBS Religion & Ethics Weekly
- White House conference on “Helping America’s Youth” (panel moderator)
- National Youth Summit – U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (workshop presenter and panel moderator)
- Saguaro Seminar – Harvard University (plenary speaker)
- 4-H National Youth Development conference (keynote speaker)
- Lilly Endowment Symposium on Education (panel moderator)
- Governor’s Conference on Service and Volunteerism (workshop presenter)
- Ivy Tech Community College, Indiana Academic Awards Luncheon (keynote speaker)
- Indiana Chamber of Commerce (award ceremony speaker and workshop presenter)
- Indiana Chamber Executives Association (plenary speaker and workshop presenter)
- CELL conference on global competition in education and economic development (panel speaker)
- Indiana Leadership Summit (luncheon keynote speaker)
- Indiana Construction Association (plenary speaker)
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Indiana statewide conference (plenary speaker and workshop presenter)
- FFA Agri Institute (panelist)
- Indiana Grantmakers Alliance statewide conference (panelist and discussion facilitator)
- Search Institute national conference (plenary speaker and workshop presenter)
- National League of Cities national conference (workshop presenter)
- Perspective: Journal of the Association of YMCA Professionals (feature-length interview on effective nonprofit management)
- Synergy Conference, Indiana Wesleyan University (plenary speaker)
- Numerous interviews with local television, radio and newspaper reporters in markets across Indiana
- Countless presentations at Rotary Clubs and Kiwanis Clubs
- National School Foundation Association, board member
- Gull Lake Ministries, board member
- Community Foundation of Boone County, board member
- Zionsville Community School Corporation Board of Trustees (term concluded)
- Shepherd Community Center, former board member; former board chair
- Grace Community Church, co-chair – Imagine capital campaign (previous)